Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Miner's Castle

Tonight's shots revolve around an area of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Drive.  The Pictured Rocks Lakeshore is one of the highlights of the area.  If you want to learn more about it, here is a link: 
http://www.nps.gov/piro/planyourvisit/scenicsites.htm .  Shortly after arriving in the UP, comes the decision of where to go and what to shoot.  I decided to revisit some of the same places I shot when I was last in the area 4 years ago.  One of those spots was Miner's Castle. It was late afternoon and I knew the sun would be setting shortly, and I knew the spot was a high vantage point looking over a bay on Lake Superior.  Aside from some wind, it was a perfect night to shoot.  In one of the shots, you'll see a cruise boat that takes people up and down the Pictured Rocks Lakeshore.  I was too late this evening for the sunset cruise, but was making plans to do a morning cruise until I saw the weather report of strong winds and sleet.  Knowing my history from a time or two on Lake Michigan charter fishing, I decided to bypass the boating no matter how beautiful I'm sure the rocks and cliffs look from the water side. The Miner's Castle refers to the stone formation you'll see.  I'm not sure how it got its name.  There used to be two "turrets", which is what they call the formation, but one of them collapsed about 6 years ago and it appears this one that is left is heading to the same demise.  In another of the shots you can see the remnants of a building that was once there.  There was a marker noting what the structure once was, but, unfortunately, I came back from the castle when it was pretty dark and could not read it.



2 comments:

  1. You really caught some amazing color here, Mark. Did you have a special lens? focus? or just the photographer's skill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been there many times. Took the cruise a few years ago! Stop by for a slide show!!!

    ReplyDelete