Monday, September 12, 2011

I must have had a "horseshoe" with me this day

This weekend one morning I got up early to head up to Harvard, a small town just North of us to shoot some pics of the circus setting up for some performances that afternoon.  I had heard that they had tigers, camels, elephants, etc. and in the morning the setup was open to the public to watch the raising of the tent by the elephants.  Thought that might be cool, but I didn't know when it started.  So I got up early, really early, pitch black early, and headed that way.  A really neat foggy morning it was.  But, in case you didn't know this, photographers cannot seem to drive in a straight line.  I got a few minutes out of town and with all good intentions, I decided to take the scenic route to Harvard- the back roads.  I had driven these roads many mornings and evenings before looking for postable shots and I have succeeded many times.  Yet, I often think about not driving those areas any more due to they aren't that exciting to me anymore.  A "Been there, Done that" mentality.  Today was a different, though. There was a heavy layer of fog and it can change the whole environment.  I drove a bit and snapped a few shots and then got to a horse farm that I've gotten some good shots at before, most famously my black and white Mr. Ed.  I didn't pay much attention to the farm this time, though, because I've shot it so much, I just didn't think I'd find anything new and different.  Until I turned the corner.  As soon as I turned the corner, I saw the big flaming ball in the sky, the horses and, the fog.  Put it together, you've got a great shot.  I slammed on the brakes(thankfully, at 6am Saturday morning no traffic), grabbed the camera, left the car in the middle of the road, ran down the ditch and up to the fence and looked for the shot I wanted.  I think I got the shot I wanted.  I fired off about 20-25 shots, all different settings and such, but in the end I think the shot I chose to post tonight was actually the first one I grabbed.  By the way, I did make to the circus on time, in fact, too early. And I did get some shots which will be posted another night.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is one of the prettiest shots I've ever seen! It's definitely out of a fairy tale, and the horses may as well be unicorns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Didn't get the picture again! Can you retry?

    ReplyDelete