Monday, December 17, 2012

Bittersweet

After looking back on the biannual beatdown of the Bears by the Green Bay Packers, it was a bittersweet day.  On the high side, my beloved Packers did their job, and left the Chicago Bears fans ready to move across the border to watch real football.  Really!  I'm not kidding.  I try to catch all the local sports TV and local sports radio around here especially on Mondays after a game, and I think today was the most negative and bitter I've ever heard the Chicago Bears fans.  So, that was a high point.  The low point was my kids are getting older.  Therefore, my 12 year old daughter isn't too "hip" with the "stand next to Packerman" picture I usually get twice a year and my 8 year old son has become a major Bears fan this year.  I know, shock and awe all the way around.  It truly saddens me.  I don't know what I did wrong.  But, I guess every kid steers down a wrongway path at some point.  All I can do is be there for him when reality sets in and the Bears are at home watching the Packers sweep through the playoffs.  He'll come around, I'm sure.  But that leads me to the 2nd low point.  He would not do his part in the twice yearly picture either.  So Packerman was left standing by himself this time.  Wait, there was another high point to the day.  With my son's new found love for football, I did find another partner to go out on Sundays, enjoy a nice lunch and few Bloody Mary's(or pops), and watch alot of football.  As much as I liked the Packer win, the highlight of the day was watching his eyes light up and smile on his face as we settled in to a booth at my favorite Sports pub and he saw the myriad of TV's on the wall, all showing football games.  It was two guys rooting for their own team, but sharing a love of the game, with some good natured ribbing during the event.  Pretty cool.  I have to go now.  I must find a way to replace all of his Bears ornaments on the tree with the Packers ornaments that USED to hang there.  Somehow, mine always seem to end up on the backside of the tree facing the wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment