Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Super Duper Moon

As many of you know, last weekend we had what is called a "Supermoon".  The moon is closer to the earth than usual.  In fact, the last time it was this close was 18-19 years ago.  This can and has created some iconic images since photography was invented.  Even though the "Supermoon" was officially Saturday night the forecast predicted it would be quite cloudy and rather cold.  I decided to hit a favorite site on Friday to, if anything, practice, hopefully get some nice shots, and if the weather was not good Saturday night I at least got shots that were pretty close to a full "Supermoon".  And that's exactly what happened.  I know of a local forest preserve that is lax in making sure the gates are closed at sunset so that's where I went.  A little scary since last year I was accidently locked in a preserve being there after dark, but that's a whole other post.  This night went off with no such problems even though it was a little chilly.  The plan was to take shots overlooking a lake in the forest preserve, but being that it was cold, I was by myself walking around a lake, I couldn't see very well, and still wary of being locked in I stayed close to my vehicle.  Night photography is a different world of shooting and patience is key.  Each shot can take about up to an hour to complete.  Sometimes more depending on what you are trying to achieve.  Unfortunately, sitting in the forest preserve, by yourself, in the dark waiting for a picture to develop does not lead to alot of shots.  Here are a couple of shots that turned out pretty good.

2 comments:

  1. It's just crazy that you got such a good picture of the moon! I can't even see it that clearly with my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so love this!!!!

    ReplyDelete