Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Why I don't do weddings

It's been awhile since the last post, but I haven't been sitting around.  I've been shopping.  Trying to get back to a level of gear that I feel comfortable with.  I know some say "It isn't the gear that makes the shot, it's the photographer and their vision."  Yeah, well, thank you very much, but I like my gear just the same.  Pretty soon I'll be back up and shooting.
I did have a chance to figure out why I have no interest in shooting a wedding, besides the fact that a great amount of skill is necessary to do it properly.  This last weekend we traveled North to my parents home to throw a 50th wedding anniversary party.  It was quite the shindig.  I was, of course, tapped to carry my camera and get some shots throughout the day.  After a couple of hours of not getting more than 5 feet from the keg that was tapped,  I handed my duties over to my 11 year old daughter.  Now, to give you an indication of how much I really didn't want to be "the" photographer, I didn't even flinch when my daughter asked me for my camera so SHE could get some shots.  Go for it I said and I didn't really think about it again.  She did a really good job, too.  And I got my camera back in one piece.  So, yeah, it might be different if you're shooting someone's party and you don't really know the people, but, when it's a family gig and you are seeing people you haven't seen in many years, the pics take a back seat.
A couple more points about a party in Wisconsin:

You advertise a two person band and broasted chicken, they will come.
If you think you brought in too much beer, think again.
You could have 40 days and 40 nights of rain, like it seemed they had in that part of the world, but, if you lived a good life, the sun will come out and give you a gorgeous 80 degree day.
A two car garage that's been organized and swept can double as one of the finest dance halls in the land.
It's a lot of work pulling off a party like they had. I'm not saying for me, but I saw alot of people working hard.
Seeing the enjoyment on my parent's faces, priceless.

1 comment:

  1. It is wonderful to see two such happy people after so many years. Congratulations to them!

    ReplyDelete